- Introduction to FreeBSD Security Best Practices
- Working with Package Management in FreeBSD
- Understanding FreeBSD Security Advisories and Updates
- Troubleshooting Common System Administration Issues in FreeBSD
- Tips for Hardening FreeBSD to achieve System Protection
- Setting Up DHCP Server in FreeBSD
- Secure User and Group Management in FreeBSD Systems
- Secure Remote Access with SSH in FreeBSD
- Optimizing System Performance in FreeBSD
- Network Packet Capture with tcpdump in FreeBSD
- All posts ...
Do you have GDPR compliance issues ?
Check out Legiscope a GDPR compliance software, that will save you weeks of work, automating your documentation, the training of your teams and all processes you need to keep your organisation compliant with privacy regulations
Jul 20, 2023
Network performance tool to model and replay of networking patterns
Unified Performance Tool or uperf for short is a network performance tool that supports modelling and replay of various networking patterns. It represents a new kind of benchmarking tool like filebench where instead of running a fixed benchmark or workload, a description or model of the workload is provided and the tool generates the load according to the model. By distilling the benchmark or workload into a model, you can now do various things like change the scale of the workload, change different parameters, change protocols, etc and analyse the effect of these changes on your model.
Some of the questions you could answer using uperf are
- Bandwidth and latency unidirectional and bi-directional with different protocols like TCP, UDP, SCTP, SSL
- Connection setup and teardown scalability for different protocols
- Effect of noise on ongoing network connections
- Does it matter if I use processes instead of threads to do network communication?
- What is the L2 cache miss rate for connection setup?
- Is sendfilev3EXT with one file equivalent to sendfilev3EXT?
- Understand TCP, UDP, SCTP, SSL performance under a variety of conditions
- Test various TCP Congestion control algorithms
Checkout these related ports:
- Wrk - Modern HTTP benchmarking tool
- Webbench - Simple forking web benchmark
- Vkpeak - Profile Vulkan devices to find their peak capacities
- Vkoverhead - Evaluate CPU overhead of Vulkan drivers
- Vkmark - Vulkan benchmark
- Vegeta - HTTP load testing tool and library
- Unixbench - BYTE magazine's Public Domain benchmark for UNIX
- Uica - Code Analyzer from the uops.info project
- Ubench - Unix Benchmark Utility for CPU(s) and memory
- Typometer - Text/code editor typing latency analyzer
- Ttcp - Benchmarking tool for analysing TCP and UDP performance
- Tsung - Multi-protocol distributed load testing tool
- Thrulay - Network capacity tester
- Tcpblast - Measures the throughput of a TCP connection
- Sysbench - Scriptable database and system performance benchmark