- Introduction to FreeBSD Security Best Practices
- Working with Package Management in FreeBSD
- Understanding FreeBSD Security Advisories and Updates
- Troubleshooting Common System Administration Issues in FreeBSD
- Tips for Hardening FreeBSD to achieve System Protection
- Setting Up DHCP Server in FreeBSD
- Secure User and Group Management in FreeBSD Systems
- Secure Remote Access with SSH in FreeBSD
- Optimizing System Performance in FreeBSD
- Network Packet Capture with tcpdump in FreeBSD
- All posts ...
Do you have GDPR compliance issues ?
Check out Legiscope a GDPR compliance software, that will save you weeks of work, automating your documentation, the training of your teams and all processes you need to keep your organisation compliant with privacy regulations
Jul 20, 2023
Easily and reliably transfer ZFS filesystems
Zxfer is a fork of zfs-replicate. It allows the easy and reliable backup, restore or transfer of ZFS filesystems, either locally or remotely.
Some of the features zxfer has
- Written in sh with only one dependency, rsync. Rsync mode is not used in a typical restore, hence in that situation all you need is the zxfer script, your backup and an install CD/DVD.
- Reliability is first priority - the only methods of transfer allowed are those that checksum/hash the transferred data.
- Transfer to or from a remote host via ssh.
- Recursive and incremental transfer of filesystems via snapshots.
- Transfer properties and sources of those properties e.g. local or inherited.
- Override properties in the transfer, e.g. for archival purposes it is useful to override “copies” and “compression”.
- Create all filesystems on the destination as necessary.
- A comprehensive man page with examples.
- Can be set to beep on error or when done, useful for long transfers.
- Features an rsync mode for when two different snapshotting regimes are on source and destination, and zfs send/receive won’t work.
Checkout these related ports:
- Ztop - Display ZFS dataset I/O in real time
- Zsm - ZFS Snapshot Manager
- Zsd - Destroys ZFS snapshots
- Zrepl - ZFS dataset replication tool
- Zrep - ZFS based replication and failover solution
- Zpool-iostat-viz - ZFS pool I/O latency statistics
- Zoxide - Fast cd alternative that learns your habits
- Zogftw - Creates redundant backups on encrypted ZFS pools
- Znapzend - ZFS-centric backup tool
- Zisofs-tools - User utilities for zisofs
- Zidrav - File corruption detection and repair program
- Zfstools - OpenSolaris-compatible auto snapshotting for ZFS
- Zfsnap2 - Portable performant script to make rolling ZFS snapshots easy
- Zfsnap - Simple sh script to make zfs rolling snaphosts with cron
- Zfs-stats - Display human-readable ZFS statistics