- Introduction to FreeBSD Security Best Practices
- Working with Package Management in FreeBSD
- Understanding FreeBSD Security Advisories and Updates
- Troubleshooting Common System Administration Issues in FreeBSD
- Tips for Hardening FreeBSD to achieve System Protection
- Setting Up DHCP Server in FreeBSD
- Secure User and Group Management in FreeBSD Systems
- Secure Remote Access with SSH in FreeBSD
- Optimizing System Performance in FreeBSD
- Network Packet Capture with tcpdump in FreeBSD
- All posts ...
Do you have GDPR compliance issues ?
Check out Legiscope a GDPR compliance software, that will save you weeks of work, automating your documentation, the training of your teams and all processes you need to keep your organisation compliant with privacy regulations
Jul 20, 2023
Drop-in replacement for Perl threads using fork()
The “forks” pragma allows a developer to use threads without having to have a threaded perl, or to even run 5.8.0 or higher. There were a number of goals that I am trying to reach with this implementation.
The standard Perl 5.8.0 threads implementation is very memory consuming, which makes it basically impossible to use in a production environment, particularly with mod_perl and Apache. Because of the use of the standard Unix fork capabilities, most operating systems will be able to use the Copy-On-Write COW memory sharing capabilities whereas with the standard Perl 5.8.0 threads implementation, this is thwarted by the Perl interpreter cloning process that is used to create threads. The memory savings have been confirmed.
You should be able to run threaded applications unchanged by simply making sure that the “forks” and “forksshared” modules are loaded, e.g. by specifying them on the command line.
Checkout these related ports:
- Zziplib - Library to provide transparent read access to zipped files
- Zydis - Fast and lightweight x86/x86-64 disassembler library
- Zycore-c - Support library with platform independent types, macros, etc for Zydis
- Zthread - Platform-independent object-oriented C++ threading library
- Zookeeper - Coordination Service for Distributed Applications
- Zls - Zig LSP implementation + Zig Language Server
- Zfp - High throughput library for compressed floating-point arrays
- Zeal - Offline documentation browser
- Zapcc - C++ caching compiler based on clang
- Zanata-platform - Web-based translation platform
- Zanata-cli - Zanata Java command line client
- Z88dk - Complete Z80/Z180 development kit
- Z80ex - ZiLOG Z80 CPU emulator library
- Z80asm - Assembler for the Z80 microprocessor
- Z80-asm - Z80 assembly code assembler and disassembler