May 26, 2018
Scalable drop-in replacement for malloc/free
lockfree-malloc is a scalable drop-in replacement for malloc/free.
- It’s thread-friendly. It supports a practically-unlimited number of concurrent threads, without locking or performance degradation.
- It’s efficient, especially in a multi-threaded environment. Compared to a stock libc allocator, we see a significant performance boost.
- It does NOT fragment or leak memory, unlike a stock libc allocator.
- It wastes less memory. For small objects less than 8kb in size, the overhead is around 0 bytes. !
- It is designed from the ground-up for 64-bit architectures.
- It is elegant. The whole codebase is only around 800 lines of fairly clean C++. !
- It fully stand-alone; it does not rely on pthreads or libc at runtime.