- Introduction to FreeBSD Security Best Practices
- Working with Package Management in FreeBSD
- Understanding FreeBSD Security Advisories and Updates
- Troubleshooting Common System Administration Issues in FreeBSD
- Tips for Hardening FreeBSD to achieve System Protection
- Setting Up DHCP Server in FreeBSD
- Secure User and Group Management in FreeBSD Systems
- Secure Remote Access with SSH in FreeBSD
- Optimizing System Performance in FreeBSD
- Network Packet Capture with tcpdump in FreeBSD
- All posts ...
Do you have GDPR compliance issues ?
Check out Legiscope a GDPR compliance software, that will save you weeks of work, automating your documentation, the training of your teams and all processes you need to keep your organisation compliant with privacy regulations
Jul 20, 2023
Debugging malloc() that uses the VM hardware to detect buffer overruns
Electric Fence is a different kind of malloc debugger. It uses the virtual memory hardware of your system to detect when software overruns the boundaries of a malloc buffer. It will also detect any accesses of memory that has been released by free. Because it uses the VM hardware for detection, Electric Fence stops your program on the first instruction that causes a bounds violation. It’s then trivial to use a debugger to display the offending statement.
It will probably port to any ANSI/POSIX system that provides mmap, and mprotect, as long as mprotect has the capability to turn off all access to a memory page, and mmap can use /dev/zero or the MAP_ANONYMOUS flag to create virtual memory pages.
Complete information on the use of Electric Fence is in the manual page efence3.
Checkout these related ports:
- Zziplib - Library to provide transparent read access to zipped files
- Zydis - Fast and lightweight x86/x86-64 disassembler library
- Zycore-c - Support library with platform independent types, macros, etc for Zydis
- Zthread - Platform-independent object-oriented C++ threading library
- Zookeeper - Coordination Service for Distributed Applications
- Zls - Zig LSP implementation + Zig Language Server
- Zfp - High throughput library for compressed floating-point arrays
- Zeal - Offline documentation browser
- Zapcc - C++ caching compiler based on clang
- Zanata-platform - Web-based translation platform
- Zanata-cli - Zanata Java command line client
- Z88dk - Complete Z80/Z180 development kit
- Z80ex - ZiLOG Z80 CPU emulator library
- Z80asm - Assembler for the Z80 microprocessor
- Z80-asm - Z80 assembly code assembler and disassembler