May 26, 2018
Fast lookup database library & utilities
cdb is a fast, reliable, lightweight package for creating and reading constant databases. Its database structure provides several features
- Fast lookups A successful lookup in a large database normally takes just two disk accesses. An unsuccessful lookup takes only one.
- Low overhead A database uses 2048 bytes, plus 24 bytes per record, plus the space for keys and data.
- No random limits cdb can handle any database up to 4 gigabytes. There are no other restrictions; records don’t even have to fit into memory. Databases are stored in a machine-independent format.
- Fast atomic database replacement cdbmake can rewrite an entire database two orders of magnitude faster than other hashing packages.
- Fast database dumps cdbdump prints the contents of a database in cdbmake-compatible format.
cdb is designed to be used in mission-critical applications like e-mail. Database replacement is safe against system crashes. Readers don’t have to pause during a rewrite.
Note for developers packages that need to read cdb files should incorporate the necessary portions of the cdb library rather than relying on an external cdb library. See WWW