Fontconfig does the following:
* discover new fonts when installed automatically, removing a common source
of configuration problems.
* perform font name substitution, so that appropriate alternative fonts can
be selected if fonts are missing.
* identify the set of fonts required to completely cover a set of languages.
* have GUI configuration tools built as it uses an XML-based configuration
file (though with autodiscovery, we believe this need is minimized).
* efficiently and quickly find the fonts you need among the set of fonts
you have installed, even if you have installed thousands of fonts, while
minimzing memory usage.
* be used in concert with the X Render Extension and FreeType to implement
high quality, anti-aliased and subpixel rendered text on a display.