- Introduction to FreeBSD Security Best Practices
- Working with Package Management in FreeBSD
- Understanding FreeBSD Security Advisories and Updates
- Troubleshooting Common System Administration Issues in FreeBSD
- Tips for Hardening FreeBSD to achieve System Protection
- Setting Up DHCP Server in FreeBSD
- Secure User and Group Management in FreeBSD Systems
- Secure Remote Access with SSH in FreeBSD
- Optimizing System Performance in FreeBSD
- Network Packet Capture with tcpdump in FreeBSD
- All posts ...
Do you have GDPR compliance issues ?
Check out Legiscope a GDPR compliance software, that will save you weeks of work, automating your documentation, the training of your teams and all processes you need to keep your organisation compliant with privacy regulations
Jul 20, 2023
Convert filenames from one encoding to another
convmv is meant to help convert a single filename, a directory tree and the contained files or a whole filesystem into a different encoding. It just converts the filenames, not the content of the files. A special feature of convmv is that it also takes care of symlinks, also converts the symlink target pointer in case the symlink target is being converted, too.
All this comes in very handy when one wants to switch over from old 8-bit locales to UTF-8 locales. It is also possible to convert directories to UTF-8 which are already partly UTF-8 encoded. convmv is able to detect if certain files are UTF-8 encoded and will skip them by default. To turn this smartness off use the –nosmart switch.
Checkout these related ports:
- Zbase32 - Base32 Encoder/Decoder
- Ytnef - Unpack data in MS Outlook TNEF format
- Yj - Convert between YAML, TOML, JSON, and HCL
- Yj-bruceadams - Command line tool that converts YAML to JSON
- Xml2c - Convert an XML file into C struct/string declarations
- Xdeview - X11 program for uu/xx/Base64/BinHex/yEnc de-/encoding
- Wkhtmltopdf - Convert HTML (or live webpages) to PDF or image
- Uulib - Library for uu/xx/Base64/BinHex/yEnc de-/encoding
- Uudeview - Program for uu/xx/Base64/BinHex/yEnc de-/encoding
- Unix2dos - Convert ASCII newlines between CR/LF and LF
- Tuc - Text to Unix Conversion
- Trans - Character encoding converter generator
- Tnef - Unpack data in MS Outlook TNEF format
- Ta2as - TASM to AT&T asm syntax converter (GNU AS)
- Showkey - Display cooked key sequences (keycap-to-keystrokes mappings)